Yoga Teacher Training in Costa Rica
March 3rd-24th, 2018
This Yoga Alliance 200 hour RYS registered program is offered in an intensive format of 21 consecutive days, in the beauty of Costa Rica. The program is offered as all inclusive with organic plant based meals and accommodation included.
The focus of this training will be how to safely practice and teach beginner Hatha Vinyasa Yoga, meaning the fluid and purposeful integration of breath and movement, while integrating the science of Ayurveda. You will gain an understanding of Ayurveda, proper alignment for asana including sun salutations for all levels, creative and intelligent sequencing, sequencing based on Ayurveda, how to enhance postures with hands-on adjustments, how to incorporate effective mantra, meditation and pranayama into your class, how to use props, and how to work with special populations-such as prenatal clients.
The program is created on a three week schedule to allow for some unstructured free time over the weekends so you can explore the nearby beaches, waterfalls and hiking trails, take a surf or paddleboard lesson, receive a massage with Jessica; or simply relax by the pool while catching up on reading and writing. Class size is strictly limited to less than 10 students, often 8 students in one training. The course includes karma seva- service in action to learn more about the Costa Rican culture and it relies heavily on direct experience to help the students understand and convey the theory sustaining yoga philosophy and ethics.
This training is based on the premise of deeper immersion into traditional yoga therapy and Ayurvedic health practices. I am aiming to invite people who want to deepen their understanding of themselves and their personal constitution, Yoga, Ayurveda, as well as Sanskrit, Costa Rica and Spanish! The program covers all the theory and practice of any good YTT, but has a strong basis in the science of Ayurveda.
• 20 days of instruction and 21 nights of accommodation at two diverse and stunning locations (15 days at beach location and 6 days in the mountains)
• 4 organic meals a day; light breakfast, breakfast, lunch and dinner
• Daily Ayurveda lectures, yoga practices and meditation sessions
• A 1 hour personal Ayurvedic Consultation with Jessica
• Yoga Teacher Training Manual
- DATES TUITION LOCATION
DATES / TIMES
March 3rd-24th, 2018 training
7:00am to 5:30pm
Sundays are a rest/free day
Tuition deadlines *based on double occupancy:
Earlybird registration by December 3rd, 2017: $4000 USD
Regular pricing: $4500 USD
Non-refundable deposit of $1000 due upon acceptance.
Full tuition due by February 3rd, 2018
Payment plans available by request.
Hosted at ShantiOm Retreat Centre, Costa Rica
During this yoga teacher training, you will stay at the ShantiOm retreat centre, located the central Pacific of Costa Rica. This beautiful centre includes accommodation at their two diverse and stunning locations, the more rustic Om Nature Reserve sits at around 8,000 feet above sea level where you are literally in the clouds surrounded by a rain forest overrun by wild orchids, exotic moss and succulents that grow everywhere. While the other location is a luxurious beachfront villa in Playa Hermosa, the Shanti Villa.
Bedrooms are available as single occupancy (for an additional cost of $1000 USD) or double occupancy with individual, queen or king size beds and all come with new linens, including towels. Housekeeping service for the rooms and laundry service for the linens is included and a laundry service for personal clothing is offered once per week. Both locations have several tranquil areas on site as well as miles of jungle and beach trails for the students to hike, to practice and to enjoy their meditations. At the Om Nature Reserve; our mountain cloud forest location, the yoga studio is a gorgeous octagon with 6 of the 8 walls being full length windows, it has a wooden floor and is nestled into the mountains and rainforest. At the Shanti Villa beach front location, we practice on a stone yoga deck, literally in front of the beach looking out to the Pacific ocean and up to the Macaws and Toucans flying overhead. All yoga mats, blocks, yoga belts, and cushions for the students are provided.
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 5:30pm / Sundays are a rest/free day
06:30 Light organic breakfast
07:00 Morning sadhana: yoga, meditation, pranayama and discussion of the practice
09:30 Organic breakfast
11:00 Training session
14:00 Organic lunch
16:00 Training session
18:00 Organic dinner
*During your free time you may explore the kms of beaches and trails nearby, relax, or book a massage or other Ayurvedic treatment with Jessica! We reserve the right to adjust this schedule based on weather and other incidentals*
1. Yoga techniques & practice: understanding the Anila Ayurveda and Yoga practice
• Introduction to the principles of alignment, Ayurvedic yoga sequences, and the foundational concepts of the science of Ayurveda.
• Introduction to basic pranayama (breathing techniques)
• Introduction to meditation techniques
• Pratyahara and meditation as healing tools
• Introduction to Sanskrit terminology
2. Teaching methodology: the basics of yoga instruction
• Principles of demonstration, observation, assisting, and adjusting
• Practice of hands-on adjustments and verbal instruction skills
• Introduction to sequencing
• Vata, Pitta and Kapha balancing asana, pranayama and meditation techniques
• Introduction to therapeutic sequencing; how to encourage balance of the doshas- the mind body constitution of the individual and any current constitutional imbalances
• Discussion on teaching and instruction styles
• Introduction to the basics of the business of yoga
3. Anatomy & physiology: the physical and energetic bodies
• Physical anatomy and physiology with Jessica Kruse
• Introduction to connective tissue and exploration of key muscle groups and bony landmarks
• Introduction to an Ayurvedic perspective on physical and energetic anatomy and physiology
• Thorough introduction to the tridosha; Vata, Pitta and Kapha
• Introduction to the energetic effects of asana and meditation
• Introduction to bandhas, chakras, gunas, koshas, nadis, vayus
• Introduction to the marma points of Ayurveda
• Basic diagnostic skills according to the prakruti/vikruti paradigm of Ayurveda
4. Yoga philosophy, lifestyle, and ethics: living Yoga
• Study and discussion of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the 8-limbed path
• Discussion of The Hatha Yoga Pradipika
• Discussion of Ayurveda for Self Healing
• Introduction to Ayurvedic Psychology
• Introduction to Ayurvedic nutrition, diet and lifestyle
• Dinacharya- the Ayurveda daily routine
Required material: Book list
Please purchase the following yoga texts for your teaching training. *Please note that the Yoga Sutras and the Hatha Yoga Pradipika have numerous translations; the translation which is used and recommended by Jessica for the teacher training is listed below.
The Key Muscles of Yoga (Volume 1), by Ray Long
Hatha Yoga Pradipika, by Swami Muktibodhananda
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by Swami Satchidananda
Light on Pranayama, by B.K.S. Iyengar
The Heart of Yoga, by TKV Desikachar
Ayurveda; The Science of Self Healing, by Dr. Vasant Lad
Yoga Teachers’ Toolbox by Joseph Le Page and Lilian Le Page
The following are additional resources which we feel are a complement to your training but are not required for the program.
Prakruti, Dr. Robert Svoboda
The Anatomy of the Spirit, Dr. Caroline Myss
The Language of Yoga: Complete A to Z Guide to Asana, Names, Sanskrit Terms and Chants, Nicolai Bachman
WHAT IS THE CANCELLATION POLICY?
Deposits are non-refundable always. Once the training commences, there are no refunds for the remainder of any payments for the training, only a credit towards a subsequent Anila Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training.
WHERE CAN I ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION?
Info sessions are generally held prior to the commencement of each program. Please check our workshops page closer to the approaching date or contact us to find out more.
WILL I BE QUALIFIED TO TEACH YOGA ONCE I COMPLETE MY 200 HOURS?
Absolutely! This Anila Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training program is designed to get you started on your teaching path. Jessica Kruse’s 200 hour program will give you the tools and the skills necessary to become a proficient Hatha Yoga teacher. You will be able to register with the Yoga Alliance as long as you have completed the entire 200 hours.
WHAT IS THE YOGA ALLIANCE?
The Yoga Alliance was formed in 1999 to recognize and promote teachers that maintain a specific standard with the Alliance. The Anila Ayurveda and Yoga School is a registered and recognized school and all graduates of the Anila Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training program are automatically eligible to register with the Yoga Alliance as an RYT.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY?
It is suggested that you have had a regular yoga practice for at least one or two years, and we always say the more experience the better. It is also strongly suggested that you have practiced with Jessica Kruse or Rameen Peyrow or one of the Senior SATTVA Yoga Teachers. Application can be completed and submitted via our online form, we also require a reference letter with application.
WHAT IF I MISS A CLASS?
To obtain your certificate you must complete 100% of the training in compliance with the the Yoga Alliance standards. At Anila Ayurveda and Yoga School we understand things come up and you might have to miss a class.
OUR POLICY FOR MAKE UP TIME: If you miss a class or weekend, in order to complete the program you will need to make up the equivalent time in a subsequent teacher training. You will not receive your certification until you have completed the make up session.
WHERE DO I PURCHASE BOOKS REQUIRED FOR THE TRAINING?
Some of the required books can be purchased at your local bookstore or studio hosting the teacher training. Many people purchase these books off amazon.com; be sure to check our reading list for the correct translation of each book.